Happy Birthday Abe: Love, Bill Clinton...

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

i find it ironic that today, february 12, is the birthday of our 16th president, "honest abe" lincoln; and it is also the anniversary of bill clinton's aquittal regarding the monica lewinski scandal. two presidents that each meant a lot more to this country than our current president ever will. you know what they say...



i saw THIS VIDEO on youtube the other day. i though that it was amazing that this five year old kid knew so much more about our presidential history than i, or most of you reading this, do. so, to make myself feel better, i started reading up on wikipedia. what you don't see in the video is that this kid also knew the names of all the vice presidents in order too; most of which i've found that unless they became the president sometime later, i've never heard of. most interestingly, i found out (ironically yet again, after watching the movie 'hannibal' on tv the other night) that one of the vice presidents that served under the birthday boy, abe lincoln, was named hannibal hamlin. i had NEVER heard that name before, ever. i felt like such a dumbass. but alas, after yet another history lesson brought to me by my friends at wikipedia, i'm that much more informed.

happy birthday abe, happy anniversary bill and happy... well, nice to meet you hannibal.

EXPERIENCE+CHANGE=2008

2 comments:

Crazy Momma 8:47 PM  

Funny story:

My 7 year old, Zachary, says to me a couple weeks ago, "you know George Clinton, mommy"

Me: "yeah, he's Bill Clinton's brother"

Z: "Did you know that he was also a vice president?"

M: "Well, no, he wasn't. Bill Clinton was a president and George Bush was a vice president but George Clinton is just Bill Clinton's brother."

Z: "yuhuh, Mommy, he WAS a vice president, I know, I read it in a book."

M: "Buddy, I am sorry but you are wrong. You must be confused."

Z: "Nauuuhhh, I KNOW I read it."

M: "Whatever, I am not going to fight with you."

Just then, my husband pulls me to the computer...sure enough, George Clinton was a VP under James Madison and Thomas Jefferson...boy did I feel stupid when I had to conceded to my 7 year old that he was smarter than me...

tony a.k.a. isweatbutter 9:18 PM  

see... i'm glad i'm not the only one!

Post a Comment

HELLO FOLKS and thanks for reading www.isweatbutter.com! i look forward to reading your comments on my posts, but understand that some people have a tough time figuring out the "process." so here's a quick lesson for you: just type your comment in the space provided, and don't even worry about signing in... choose the "name/url" option and just type your first name or a nickname and then hit "publish comment." that's it, it's just that easy! thanks again for reading and for commenting!

Get Free Shots from Snap.com

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP